Terms of Reference
Post title: Media & Communications Officer
Duty station: Bangkok, Thailand
Contract Duration: 8 months, April – December 2019 with possible extension
Reports to: Communications Officer
The Asia and Pacific Transgender Network was launched in December 2009, when 15 transgender women from 10 Asia and Pacific countries and regions came together to champion the health, legal and social rights of transgender women. A milestone in the history of transgender people in the region, they demanded recognition as a distinct demographic group with their unique needs, separate from the MSM umbrella.
Since it was founded in 2009, APTN has grown to become a credible platform and voice for transgender people in Asia and the Pacific, working to ensure that their needs and rights are represented politically, socially, culturally and economically. The network serves as a platform for transgender people to advocate for access to health, legal gender recognition, legislative reform, social justice and human rights and to exchange information and strategies with each other.
APTN addresses transgender specific issues including vulnerability to gender-based violence, stigma and discrimination, risks for HIV infection, and health issues stemming from almost complete lack of access to appropriate health and medical care. APTN recognises the issue of HIV affecting the lives of transgender people and advocates for improved access to appropriate prevention, treatment and care services, linked with HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. The Network has published several key reports, policy and technical briefs in partnership with other groups and multilateral organisations highlighting key issues affecting transgender people and has developed a set of recommendations to protect and promote transgender rights.
APTN envision a society that upholds, respects, and protects the diversity, safety, equality, and dignity of trans /transgender people, the mission of APTN is to mobilize and advocate for the human rights of trans/transgender people in the Pacific and Asia Region.
The main duties and responsibilities:
Under the broad guidance of the Communications Officer, assumes primary responsibility for planning, developing and implementing communication strategies to promote APTN program. The Media & Communications Officer will also be responsible for developing partnerships with other relevant organizations and with the APTN Network partners to disseminate information and create awareness about human rights issues and APTN programs and activities. They will support and maintain internal and external communications with project collaborators, implementing agencies, service providers, donors/ funders and assist to execute the communications strategy, maintain project documentation and undertake the following tasks:
- Assist to ensure compliance of activities with project communication strategy by following donor and APTN guidelines, oversee the APTN public voice and its consistency
- Coordinate with partners in the development of statements, media releases, and related actions as appropriate
Supporting the Communications Officer in developing key messages in consultation with the project team
- Maintaining a record of trans-related materials related in the Asia Pacific Region and globally.
- Collaborate with Programme Team to develop Information Education and Communication (IEC) materials consistent with APTN communications guidance
- Coordinate with APTN country partners and staff to ensure effective coordination of communications
- Support technical assistance to partners on communications issues, brandings, messaging, design
- Support the development of project reports and collating of case studies
- Assisting the Communications Officer in developing APTN bi-annual newsletter
Website, blog and social media management and updates
- Assisting in response to queries from partners, stakeholders, media and etc when assigned by the Communications Officer
- Developing monthly social media contents with programme team
- Reaching out to embassies, donors and funders, partners and stakeholders to advocate and promote the work of APTN
- Maintaining database of tools, mapping and resources that is available online
- Updating the calendars of events
- Developing storyboard and outline of capturing trans stories
- Developing of designers and translators that have experience working with the communities
- Coordinate the development of a Human Rights Violations tool with partners and APTN team
- Maintain and implement framework for APTN social media
- Developing recorded advocacy tool, videos, montage etc
- Conducting key informant interviews for APTN communications platform, print and media
- Ensuring APTN branding guidelines are consistently applied throughout the organisation, stakeholders and partners and assisting with development of design and artwork when needed and as assigned by communications officer
- Provide communications support to the Executive Director and APTN governing bodies
Education Requirements: University degree and/or equivalent experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or other relevant field
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in the communications and/or media, journalism;
- Candidate should be able to work independently – with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors. Demonstrated and extensive social media experience is an added advantage.
- Documented experience working with transgender organizations and/or related issues on human rights
- Proven experience in coordinating with various stakeholders and production of communication, materials and products and their dissemination
- Experience of working with community based organisations is highly preferred;
- Engagement with UN, and other international rights organizations on human rights issues will be an asset
- Excellent computer skills, including experience managing websites and use of web based content management systems ;
- Proficiency with social media and writing reports, press releases, joint statements, and speeches
- Proven experience in producing the page layout and design of materials such as reports, posters, newsletters, etc would be considered a strong asset
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills are required.
- Coordinating projects that are time-based with regional partners whose first language may not be English
- Knowledge with design and layout skills and adept in using Adobe photoshop, illustrator, wordpress, video editing software
- Experience with generating contents for targeted audience
- Demonstrated and extensive social media experience is an added advantage.
How to Apply
If you have the passion and interest in joining our team, please submit a CV and cover letter (including expected monthly salary in THB) and send to email@example.com. Please indicate “Application: Media & Communications Officer” in the subject of email by 18 March 2019.
The completeness and relevance of your application will determine whether or not you are called for an interview. Where there may be a large number of applicants meet the essential and desirable requirements, only applicants who most strongly meet the requirements will be selected for interview. Shortlisted candidates will undergo an oral interview and an assigned test.
Transgender Persons from Asia and the Pacific are highly encouraged to apply.