The Rainbow in Context – LGBTIQ Persons in SEA
This report presents an overview of the situation of LGBTIQ persons within ASEAN. Its objectives are: a.) to describe the persistent and emerging challenges in the promotion and protection of the rights of LGBTIQ people in Southeast Asia; b.) to discuss recent successes gained in the realization of the rights of LGBTIQ people; and c.) to offer recommendations on engaging with ASEAN, particularly through its human rights mechanisms. This report covers the following issues:
• ASEAN’s weak human rights infrastructure
• Increasing criminalization of LGBTIQ people in ASEAN
• Absence of de jure recognition and protection of LGBTIQ people’s rights
• Shrinking civil society spaces for LGBTIQ activism
• Continuing stigmatization of LGBTIQ persons.